Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Thoughts on Teaching: 1

Math, and most other classes--but mostly math, should feel comfortable. It should feel like a close, family-type group learning together-- the teacher being a part of that group. It should not feel like there is an obvious division between the students and teacher. The teacher should not seem above everyone else in a negative way--in a I-understand-this-better-than-you-and-you'll-never-be-on-my-level way. That can make students feel like it's pointless to even ask this dude because he's just going to make you feel bad about yourself. It's like trying to compliment an extremely cocky person and them replying with "I know, you wish you were me" instead of just thanking you. So then the students go to other students for help. It doesn't matter if their peer doesn't understand the topic that well, what matters is that they're on the same level and understand what it feels like to be confused or totally lost. There's nothing wrong with going to a peer for help; it's just sad that a student may not feel comfortable enough to ask the actual teacher. Sometimes I try really hard to master the topics in math just so I can teach everyone who does not feel comfortable asking the teacher because they just make you feel dumb. Not everyone can step up and step over that dividing wall. I'm not quite sure if this is a bad trait or not, but I'm not too into invisible barriers. Just because someone is in movies or releases records or makes a lot of money or has a high level of education means they can't make contact with me? Why not? Blood circulates in both of our bodies, we both breathe, cry, eat, laugh, love, think...so what makes you so different? I try to maintain the idea that everyone is equal, no matter what you or society thinks your status is.

Anyway, schools should feel like safe communities and each of the classes/classrooms should feel like home. You should feel like your teachers are on your same level, not arrogantly above you. It's way more comfortable for me to look at you eye to eye rather than throw my head back and strain my eyes to try and see you from the top of your high horse.

No comments:

Post a Comment